Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tomato Flatbread (sort of)

I set out to make a tomato flatbread this week. I had good intentions, and a flatbread seemed like something I could make in my kitchen, especially since flatbreads are made without yeast. You see, I am afraid of yeast. It all started when I tried to impress the spouse with Hot Cross Buns on Easter. Disaster. I am not sure what is in those little packets, but we are not friends. Instead of delicious, plump, pull-apart, lick-the-dough-around-my-tongue, buns, I got cinnamon-sugar rocks. In short, the spouse was not impressed.

Things being what they are, though, I did not have the time or the inclination to make the flatbread this week. What is a girl to do? Buy pre-made stuff! I snooped around the upscale market in my neighborhood. They always have fancy-pantsy things. And voila! A packaged pizza crust! Wrapped in plastic! With drawings meant to evoke Italy! Using words like "stone ground"! Genius.

The "flatbread" followed:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large beefsteak tomato
1 red cipollini onion, sliced or chopped
2 ounces goat cheese
basil leaves
sea salt
pepper

Remove the crust from the package (already I love this). Brush olive oil over the crust. Cut tomato into slices. Lay slices on the crust. Sprinkle with onion, cheese and basil leaves. Season with the salt and pepper. Pop it into the oven, and bake according to package directions.

The spouse's reaction: "This is the best pizza I've ever had." That's why we've been married for five years. Also, he's probably right. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment