Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tomato Ice Cream

I've been talking about making a tomato ice cream all summer. Reactions are split down the middle. Half of my friends and colleagues think that it would be a delightfully refreshing summer treat (their exact words). The other half look puzzled and say "that's weird." If "weird" is the most negative comment I can get, then why not try it? And, seriously, it's a lot less weird than some of the ice cream flavors that I've been reading about this summer. Government cheese ice cream? Um, no thank you.

After deciding that I was definitely going to make this ice cream, I did some research. My go to is The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. No tomato ice cream recipe!?! Unthinkable. I had to go online. One word sums up my search: gross. I was on my own. So, here's what I came up with:

2 lbs beefsteak tomatoes
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 pinch of kosher salt

Peel and chop the tomatoes. Add all of the ingredients to a blender. Whiz! Strain the mixture into a bowl:


Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Simple. But when you don't know what you're doing, simple is usually best. My reaction: "what a delightfully refreshing summer treat!" The spouse's reaction: "that's weird." You can't win them all. But, I do plan to eat a scoop with a little cheesecake.

1 comment:

  1. my idea would be, a trio of sorbets - tomato, mascarpone, and basil - kind of like a frozen caprese : )

    ReplyDelete